Skip to main content

Don't Change Your Circumstances , Change Your Attitude !


Some seasons in life are just more difficult than others. Period.
Maybe it’s because of a project you’ve taken on, maybe you have lost a loved one, maybe you’re worried about money or you ended a relationship or maybe you’re in a relationship that is taking ton of your energy
It’s inevitable. There’s no escaping it.
Some seasons are just hard.
But is it possible you are making things harder than they need to be—simply by having a bad attitude about it? Marianne Williamson says the key to transforming any situation is reframing it—looking at it from a different direction.
If there are many ways to see a situation, are you looking at it from more than one direction?
It’s like a kid on a roller coaster who closes his eyes and buries his head in his fear-crossed arms on parts that are most terrifying or most unexpected to him. His attempt to protect himself from the circumstance doesn’t actually save him. It just blocks his view.
Lately I had an epiphany about this.
What if my response to difficult circumstances is making the circumstances even harder than they need to be?
When the steep hills come, when things seem to flip upside down, when I realize there’s no way to get off this “ride”, what if closing my eyes or turning my attention doesn’t actually keep me from harm? What if it actually just blocks what I’m supposed to be learning?
What if it is keeping me from all the good that is trying to come to me?
What if what I really need is a change in attitude?
I love the image of the roller coaster because the picture that comes to mind is of a little kid who decides to stop being scared of the ride. He realizes he’s on it already, anyway. There’s nothing he can do about that.
So he might as well enjoy it.
Instead of closing his eyes, he opens them. Instead of crossing his arms and burring his head, he looks up and lets go of the handle bar. He lets the wind blow through his hair. He smiles. He’s having fun.
His circumstances haven’t changed. Only his attitude has.
What would happen if we changed our attitudes when we couldn’t change our circumstances?
Maybe we’d feel the wind on our face and through our hair.
Maybe we would smile instead of hunkering down, afraid.
We can’t always choose our circumstances
But we can choose our response to them.
We can choose not to take ourselves too seriously—to laugh at our biggest mistakes. We can choose not to let stress get the best of us. When we’re up to our knees in paperwork, we can make a game out of it. When we’re stressed about finances, we have gratitude for beans and rice the same way would  for an expensive steak.
We can choose to focus on the light at the end of the tunnel (rather than the dark tunnel itself).
Maybe, if we do this, we’ll start enjoying this crazy ride—rather than burying our faces and waiting for the day we’ll be able to get off.
 
 
 
 

Comments

  1. I bet after reading this i'll surely be the one to experience the roller coaster ride(life) with a different attitude💕 afterall life is to be enjoyed the fullest during crisis 😇 Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job!!! Keep blogging 🔥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enthusiastic..!!!
    One can become fond of travelling after reading this blog..
    Again nice use of words...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the blog is anywhere near traveling (if u read it properly)... It perfectly describes how a person is supposed to deal with each situation in life positively!!! ☺️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The cost of Ambition

Picture the scene: you have a job that you love, working for a great company. But, this has been your life for the past five years. Surely you need to be more ambitious? Perhaps now is the right time to be moving “onward and upward”? So, your boss recommends you for a manager role, which you take. But soon you seem to be spending all your time in meetings, and you have so much paperwork that you swear you can hear your desk creaking under the weight. Eventually you find yourself asking, “When did I become so unhappy?” Seeking progress for the sake of progress can often leave us feeling deflated, and even more unfulfilled than we did in a lower-ranking job. So, where’s the line? Is there a conflict between ambition and happiness? What’s Happiness Got to Do With It? For many of us, career success brings genuine happiness. But when this stops being the case, we need to re-evaluate what makes us truly happy. A promotion might bring more money and new challenges, but the trade-of

Perfect ? Not Again !

Perfect! Just the word used to make my skin crawl and my stomach churn, and it made my mind all bent out of shape as it would try to be what I thought I was supposed to be but could never be, because I was so damn human. Perfection used to sound like an impossible state that was only reserved for those other people who some divine being had so graciously graced with a perfection gene I somehow didn’t get, and couldn’t for the life of me seem to get my hands on. Most of my life, I strived to be a perfect being. I wanted to be a perfect daughter. A perfect student. A perfect sister. A perfect friend.A perfect girlfriend. I wanted to say the perfect things at the perfect time. I wanted to have perfect timing and to wear the perfect outfit. I wanted my make-up to be perfect, and for my skin to be perfectly smooth. I wanted my house to be perfectly clean. I wanted my squad to be perfect and I wanted so much to be perfect in my happiness and hipness and hotness—just perfectly and not ex

GENDER EXPECTATIONS.

A man’s life isn’t easy as people think, probably because our concerns just aren’t voiced out. So, it all begins when you own at least that one picture of you with your manhood, majorly captured to keep the family’s reputation boosted up. Ostentatiously showing off that picture that the mother produced a “baby boy”, is one of the seeds of patriarchy that have been sown in the society. Many boys have injured themselves, getting slapped by an aunt or the teacher. Many times they get wounded and have squealed with pain, tears rolling down our eyes. But, every time a boy complains of pain, parents castigate him with the famous overrated Hindi dialogue “ मर्द नहीं रोते ” (Men don’t cry) ? Our patriarchal society affects gender roles while we are growing up, thus building in a preference for “masculine” qualities and expectations in men. So it’s considered normal when a guy needs to find a very “professional and classy” job and earn a very high salary by having a profession su