Skip to main content

Lessons learnt!

Hello! from one survivor to the other. Congratulations on surviving through all the global crisis happening around us. Pat your back boys and girls. Well, on a personal note, year 2020 was “supposed” to be an important year for me personally and professionally. So many things were planned and lined up in each and every month. Usually, (if you know me) I am a very laid back person be it anything, but somehow on the New Year’s Eve (while bidding 2019 a goodbye and welcoming 2020 with open arms) I was full of excitement and was ready to bring massive changes in my life. Who knew everything was going to come to a standstill.
Being a person who wants to learn or is always keen on taking away something positive from any situation that I am in, I started introspecting within myself about everything going on around me in this unusual time, while being quarantined. And as my title says, I did learn a few things, rather noticed that I have been ignoring or just taking some things for granted all this while. Then I thought are we all on the same page? Is everyone going through the same process or thinking alike? To find the answer to this question. I did ask few people around me, the things that they have learnt during this lockdown, which we have experienced never before or rather did not feel were important/worthy of acknowledgement.
I wish to sum it up all here, by sharing the top 5 things that this pandemic taught me, and also want to document it for life and maybe share it with my children and grandchildren, which might work as a guide or something for them and help them in surviving I in the completely different world they are going to be born in. I am aware that I am writing this down, still being in the middle of the crisis and before coming back to the normal life. I just want to check if we all are on the same page?
1.    Healthcare system: Despite of all our scientific claims and achievements in India as well as across the globe, we all are deeply unprepared to handle a pandemic. Diseases, does not indeed, know borders. This now is more vital to understand and recognize than ever. Do you think our frontline workers are well respected and paid? No. How about a budget re-evaluation on how much are we spending on doctors, nurses, scientists and on our overall healthcare system. Compared to the rest of the fields.

2.    Freedom: This has for sure taught us the value of freedom. Freedom to move, to travel, to be with those we love, to live in dignity and security.

3.    Relationships: The global pandemic has shown us how terrible it is to waste our time and lives, embroiled in endless battles for wealth, status and power. How terrible it really is not to recognize the value of people around us, not just our family and friends, our colleagues and fellow citizens, but of complete strangers as well. Take care of people, who take care of you.

4.    Money: Two months ago, one of the ways many of us measured our emotional well-being was through our material wealth. No one needs to be reminded that the virus has disrupted the economy and most of us are poorer than we were two months ago. Since the day I have started earning, I have felt safe when I have “enough” money. And how much is “enough”? has never been clearer to me, so I have answered it with “more”. The virus has changed this concept I had early on. Yes, saving money does help you, but will you be saved from the transmission of virus, if you are rich? Our wealth lies in our health from now on. The old Hindi saying goes something like this. “Sar salamat toh pagdi pachaas”. You can do everything you want to do, only if you are physically and mentally capable of doing it.

5.    Changed lifestyle: Self-isolated in our homes, we have moved our life onto the internet. Accompanied by the thoughts that we will not let this virus beat us. While, of course there is this “stay calm and carry on” approach, I also have a nagging sense that I am zooming away from lot of things and I wonder how I am going to make room for that. Certainly COVID-19 has changed our world and our lifestyle, I can zoom all I want, but I cannot meet my 3-year-old nephew, who is too young to realize and understand what is happening and why I am not at my grandparents place this summer. I can go online to see patients but I don’t have their very real physical presence to help me understand more deeply what they are going through. No amount of FB or Instagram will return the cancelled plans with my friends and family, which provided me deep sense of satisfaction and happiness. Maybe this very emptiness provides an opening and opportunity.

To end this, I think the post COVID-19 world offers many possibilities, including a dramatically reorganized set of priorities and engagements.

Comments

  1. Thanks to the lockdown, the Blogger in you is back and how. With a Bang 😎

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pandemic taught me lot of things and we r on same Page.
    Nice Blog 👍👌👏

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you ❤️... Liked your positive article it gives courage to face covid . Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of thought has given in the post. Not only have you introspected yourself but also gave a realistic view of the ongoing situation.
    Very well articulated

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The cost of Ambition

Picture the scene: you have a job that you love, working for a great company. But, this has been your life for the past five years. Surely you need to be more ambitious? Perhaps now is the right time to be moving “onward and upward”? So, your boss recommends you for a manager role, which you take. But soon you seem to be spending all your time in meetings, and you have so much paperwork that you swear you can hear your desk creaking under the weight. Eventually you find yourself asking, “When did I become so unhappy?” Seeking progress for the sake of progress can often leave us feeling deflated, and even more unfulfilled than we did in a lower-ranking job. So, where’s the line? Is there a conflict between ambition and happiness? What’s Happiness Got to Do With It? For many of us, career success brings genuine happiness. But when this stops being the case, we need to re-evaluate what makes us truly happy. A promotion might bring more money and new challenges, but the trade-of

Perfect ? Not Again !

Perfect! Just the word used to make my skin crawl and my stomach churn, and it made my mind all bent out of shape as it would try to be what I thought I was supposed to be but could never be, because I was so damn human. Perfection used to sound like an impossible state that was only reserved for those other people who some divine being had so graciously graced with a perfection gene I somehow didn’t get, and couldn’t for the life of me seem to get my hands on. Most of my life, I strived to be a perfect being. I wanted to be a perfect daughter. A perfect student. A perfect sister. A perfect friend.A perfect girlfriend. I wanted to say the perfect things at the perfect time. I wanted to have perfect timing and to wear the perfect outfit. I wanted my make-up to be perfect, and for my skin to be perfectly smooth. I wanted my house to be perfectly clean. I wanted my squad to be perfect and I wanted so much to be perfect in my happiness and hipness and hotness—just perfectly and not ex

GENDER EXPECTATIONS.

A man’s life isn’t easy as people think, probably because our concerns just aren’t voiced out. So, it all begins when you own at least that one picture of you with your manhood, majorly captured to keep the family’s reputation boosted up. Ostentatiously showing off that picture that the mother produced a “baby boy”, is one of the seeds of patriarchy that have been sown in the society. Many boys have injured themselves, getting slapped by an aunt or the teacher. Many times they get wounded and have squealed with pain, tears rolling down our eyes. But, every time a boy complains of pain, parents castigate him with the famous overrated Hindi dialogue “ मर्द नहीं रोते ” (Men don’t cry) ? Our patriarchal society affects gender roles while we are growing up, thus building in a preference for “masculine” qualities and expectations in men. So it’s considered normal when a guy needs to find a very “professional and classy” job and earn a very high salary by having a profession su